The cosmogony of the Wixárika people, who live mostly in the state of Nayarit, was recognized in the annual 'Best of Mexico' contest two years ago.
Beautiful pieces with applications of beads or yarn, details that are repeated in bracelets and pendants, paintings, sculptures, shoes and even in automobiles (who does not remember the famous "Vochol"?) give life to the incomparable Huichol Crafts, which this year has been chosen among the Best of Mexico 2020.
The magazine México Desconocido annually holds a contest in which it recognizes the best of the country through the eyes of the most experienced travelers. It consists of several categories and it is the readers who choose by means of their votes the experiences and destinations that are most original, both for design and for being authentic, for being avant-garde or for respecting or rescuing traditions.
After two weeks of voting (March 1-15) on the website lomejordemexico.com. Huichol Crafts was the winner with 26,23% of the total votes obtained in its Best Craft category. It should be noted that they were more than 230 thousand votes obtained in 14 different categories.
According to México Desconocido, the awards will be delivered during the 45th edition of the Tianguis Turístico México, scheduled to be held in Mérida, Yucatán, next September.
Would you like to know more about the Huichol culture and its crafts? Keep reading!
- Huichol art mixes embroidery, beading and color in unique and inimitable pieces. Color management is highly complex.
- These products, made by the hands of Wixaritari artisans, are part of the Nayarita culture.
- In each craft the "Sons of the Sun" tell their stories and myths. Each of the pieces is like an offering to the elements Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and also a way to communicate divine messages.
- Most of the Huichol communities in Nayarit are located in the mountains, in the municipalities of La Yesca and El Nayar. The main community is Xatsixarie, which means "Place where words abound", in Guadalupe Ocotán. Visitors can take excursions into their communities to learn about their ceremonies, lifestyles, and artistic creations.
- In Riviera Nayarit you have surely seen the Huichols and appreciated their art at a fair or festival held in coastal towns such as Bucerias, sayulita, San Pancho and Lo de Marcos, or further north, in Guayabitos corner and Chacala.
On your next visit to the Riviera Nayarit, don't forget to take a “little piece” of the Huichol culture with you.
Original article: Riviera Nayarit Blog
- Huichol Handicrafts: The best and most beautiful in Mexico - 11 April 2023
- Compostela, Mexico's magical town that evokes Spain - 28 March 2023
- Nuevo Vallarta, where action and relaxation meet - 10 March 2023